In early September, we had the pleasure to welcome a number of international researchers in Bremen for the Global Norms Conference on the Legitimation and Delegitimation of Global Governance Organizations (click to see the whole program). In the following paragraphs, I will discuss some highlights of a very interesting conference which had excellent papers, great discussions and a very warm and inspiring atmosphere.
Day 1: Opening plenary and a first set of panels
As we are wrapping up the last administrative tasks in relation to our conference on ‘The Legitimation and De-Legitimation of Global Governance Organizations’ (11-13 September), the good news is that the intellectual journey we’ve embarked on with that conference will continue. The International Studies Association (ISA) has thus notified us that our proposal to hold a panel on the legitimation of international organisations as a part of the 2014 ISA Convention in Toronto (26-29 March 2014) has been accepted. Saving the best for last, the organisers have scheduled the panel for the final slot of the convention on Saturday, 29 March 2014 from 4:00 pm to 5:45. The line-up is as follows:
- Ian Hurd, Northwestern University: Perspectives on Legitimation for International Organizations
- Hans Agné, Jens Bartelson & Anders Uhlin, Stockholms/Lunds Universitet: Legitimacy and Legitimation in Global Governance
- Jens Steffek, Technische Universität Darmstadt: Modernity, Rationalization, and the Legitimacy of International Public Administration
- Alexandru Grigorescu, Loyola University Chicago: The Legitimation of International Organizations Through Democratic Principles
- Klaus Dingwerth, Universität Bremen: International Organizations and the Terms of Legitimation: A Case Study of the GATT/WTO, 1970-2009
- Chair: Steven Bernstein, University of Toronto
- Discussant: Mlada Bukovansky, Smith College
Does not that sound promising? We look forward to continuing the discussion with you at ISA2014!
We will be live tweeting some conference events. Please follow #Legitimation2013.
Dear participants, please feel free to share your thoughts, comments or any other questions.
Here’s the archived timeline of the conference tweets.